Saturday, September 15, 2012

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - September


I wasn't planning to post today, but then I discovered May Dreams Gardens blog after reading a post on Hurtled to 60...

On May Dreams Gardens there was the question "How's your garden blooming on this mid-September day?" and the invitation: "We would love to have you join in for Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day and tell us all about what is blooming in your garden. It’s easy to participate and all are invited!"

Although I don't profess to be a Garden Blogger, I am accepting the invitation and here is my entry for September.

I live in the Algarve region of Portugal and we're having a heat wave this week. Looking around my smallish garden I see that I still have some colour, mainly from flowering shrubs.

Pink oleander flowers
My pink oleander is still in bloom.


Shocking pink bouganvillea
My small bougainvillea did very well this year.
Sonerilla
This shrub flowers from Spring through Autumn.



The Hibiscus are rewarding me for my having upped the watering frequency.
Yellow hibiscus

And finally, my Belladonna lilies are in full bloom.
Belladonna lilies

The dry, hot summer has not been kind on the roses. Usually I have enough blooms to decorate the garden and fill vases in the house, but not this time. Maybe next year...

Now I'm off to link to May Dreams Gardens.



5 comments:

  1. Hi there! Welcome to GBBD. How lucky you are to have the climate and conditions to grow such beautiful plants such as Oleander and Bougenvillea, I had an Oleander in a pot which did well but lost it over the Winter as I dont have room to bring it indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you for your welcome. In the Algarve Oleanders grow almost wild and just about every garden has Bougainvillea. My garden is smallish but just the right size for me to manage almost on my own.

      Delete
  2. It has certainly been a long hot dry summer! Just right for some plants while others struggle. I've never tried to grow roses where we are - it's just too windy :(

    I must try and take part in this challenge next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love roses but they have struggled terribly. I have planted a shrub near them, hoping it will give them some shade but it is taking a long time to grow big enough!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. I especially love the oleander, bougainvillea and hibiscus, what wonderful pinks.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...