Sunday, February 12, 2012

B is for Beaches

The first time I saw the sea and set my feet on a beach I was hooked. It was love at first sight!

That was when I was nine years old and my father took the family on its first travelling adventure. He drove us from Salisbury (now Harare) to Beira, in Mozambique.

It was supposed to be a 3-week holiday but I only went to the beach on the first day and got a glimpse of it when we began the drive home.

That's right, this was my holiday from hell! I came down with the mumps and stayed couped up in my room the whole time. How unlucky can you get?!

I don't have photos of that first beach in Mozambique but, if you are curious, here is a YouTube video of the city, as I remember it. 

I have been to many beautiful beaches since. 
Marinha Beach, photos by Pedro, a good friend


Last year I discovered Marinha Beach on the Algarve coast, to the west of Albufeira. 
   

The views from the top of the cliffs are breathtaking.
Praia da Marinha, fotos do Pedro, um grande amigo







Unfortunately the cliffs have been declared unsafe recently so people are no longer allowed to go down to the tiny beach.

You can't go swimming there anymore but you can feast your eyes on the views.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Pity it's not safe anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely views from the Algarve. I was born in Beira, so it was lovely to see the video. How terrible that you had to get sick and not enjoy your first beach holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so bored, I read all the books that belonged to our hosts' children, mostly Portuguese/English textbooks! So it was the year I improved my written Portuguese. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved my clifftop walk above Marinha along to Benagil. So glad I did it when I could! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...